State Authorization

The University of Connecticut (UConn) is licensed as an institution of higher learning by the State of Connecticut Office Higher Education and is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). NECHE is an accreditation agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.

What is State Authorization

If a distance learning student resides outside the state of Connecticut while taking a course or program, UConn must be authorized by that state or U.S. territory. This “state authorization” may be obtained on a state by state basis or via the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).

UConn is a SARA Institution, and is authorized to deliver distance learning to students in all SARA states including the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. UConn has permission from the California (non-SARA state) regulators to deliver distance learning to students residing in California. UConn is currently not authorized to deliver distance learning to students residing in Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

Online/Distance Learning Student Complaint Process

If you are a UConn Graduate or Undergraduate wishing to issue a complaint, please visit the Student Complaint Process to access additional information.

Professional Licensure or Certification

Questions related to distance learning programs leading to professional licensure or certification should be discussed with the appropriate UConn academic department or program.

Financial Aid

If you receive Federal Student Aid (otherwise known as Title IV funding) while enrolled solely
in an eligible online program and you move to a state or territory currently not authorized, you will lose your eligibility to receive Title IV funding. Visit the Financial Aid Website for more program eligibility information.

UConn State Authorization, NC_SARA_Seal


Contact Us

University of Connecticut
State Authorization
Neal Olderman
368 Fairfield Way, Unit 4001
Storrs, CT 06269-4001
(860) 486-0928