How can you create a positive classroom environment in your courses?
Effective classroom management entails meticulous planning but also a readiness to switch gears and move away from the script when necessary. It requires firm control but also a willingness to relinquish that control to take advantage of a teachable moment. It requires leadership but also a sense of compassion and understanding of your students.
Consider these techniques as you develop your classroom management style:
- Begin to establish an effective environment on the first day of class
- Interact with students right away
- Be prepared to respond to challenges:
- What will you do if students consistently arrive unprepared?
- How will you handle disruptive students?
- How can you encourage quiet or shy students to become engaged?
- Should you post your lectures, slides, in-class materials, etc., online?
- Engage, Engage, Engage
Refer to Classroom Management on the CETL website for more details on establishing an effective environment and managing your classroom.