Building upon the Inclusive STEM Teaching Project, we are launching the UConn Equity Improvement Community program to advance equitable teaching and learning practices in STEM courses.
The program has three parts:
- The first part begins with participants enrolling in the Inclusive STEM Teaching Project Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) hosted by EdX and sponsored by NSF. This course runs from October 13th - November 24th and is designed to advance awareness, self-efficacy, and capabilities of STEM instructors to create inclusive student learning environments. This is an estimated 2-3hr commitment/week
- The second part of the program involves participation in a virtual facilitated faculty learning community for participants enrolled in the Inclusive STEM Teaching Project course. The learning community will foster faculty reflection and discussion and will run concurrent to the course and require an additional 90 minutes per week.
- Participants who successfully complete the first two parts of this program will be invited to apply to join UConn’s inaugural Equity Improvement Community in the spring of 2022. Selected candidates will engage in a comprehensive program that will promote review and implementation of evidence based equity minded and inclusive teaching practices. Selected participants will each receive $2,000 in their department research accounts. We anticipate being able to fund approximately 10-12 participants as a result of a successful initial Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence training award[i].
Benefits to your participation in the UConn Equity Improvement Community
- Be a visible champion and ambassador for equity minded and inclusive teaching
- Access to teaching resources at a time when teaching inclusively in multiple modalities (in-person, online, hybrid/hi-flex) is essential
- Flexible learning – edX materials and activities are self-paced
- Be part of a community of faculty dedicated to advancing more equitable approaches to teaching and learning
- Opportunity to develop awareness and skills in inclusive STEM instruction
- Documentation of your professional development (optional MOOC certificate) and sustained commitment to equitable teaching at UConn
iThe UConn Equity Minded Improvement Community is supported by an HHMI Inclusive Excellence grant award (IE3) being administered by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.