The Teaching Assistant Orientation is designed to help students succeed in their TA role at UConn and will introduce principles and practices of effective teaching.
- Become familiar with UConn’s student demographic,
- Be informed about where to review key policies, including policies related to FERPA, working with students with disabilities, the student code of conduct, and sexual harassment and consensual relationships, and other university resources
- Get a taste of practices and strategies for effective classroom teaching
- Recognize what resources and opportunities are available to learn more about teaching and learning
Spring 2021 New TA Orientation
Tuesday, January 12, 2021 | 9:00 – 12:30 | Online
Registration deadline: January 8, 2021
The TA Orientation will be delivered online in two parts:
- via an asynchronous blackboard non-course site to explore on your own at any time starting January 5, 2021
- a synchronous part, including panel discussion in the morning of January 12, 2021
All online modules must be completed prior to the first day of class (January 19, 2021). Attendance will be recorded for each part individually.
Please note: If you have taken the TA Orientation in the past you
do not have to take it again.
Spring 2021 Agenda
Click here to view past orientation presentations
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) offers services, workshops and orientations for graduate teaching assistants. All of our programs are available to you as you enter into the rich teaching culture of the university. This website has resources designed specifically for graduate teaching assistants with a variety of opportunities to help you as you develop in your teaching career. We want you to know that you are supported by our staff as you enter the classroom.