Discussion Board Access
Instructors need to provide access to the Discussion Board by adding a tool link in the navigation menu. Once the board is active, the instructor creates “Forums” within the board and students post to those forums.
Multiple forums can be created in a Discussion Board. These will be the areas there students post.
Forums in the main Discussion Board for the course will be accessible to all students enrolled on the course unless the instructor blocks users from a particular forum.
If Groups have been created, it is possible to activate a Discussion Board for each group and create forums there that will only be accessible to that group’s members.
To start a thread, students click on the “Create Thread” button. Students also have the option to reply to an existing post, which adds to the “thread”. Students have a text editor to use for their posts, but only one file attachment is allowed using the “Attach file” option.
Discussion Forums Settings
- they can be graded or ungraded
- attachments can be allowed or not
- they can have a limited display period
- anonymous posts can be allowed,
- students can be allowed to edit or delete their own posts
- students may be required to post before seeing posts created by others
- students can be limited to only responding to other posts and not creating new threads (this is rarely used)