CETL has consultants who specialize in dealing with the unique linguistic and cultural challenges faced by instructors and researchers whose first language is not English or who lived most of their lives outside the USA. Language consultations are currently available on the Storrs campus. Consultants are able to help in a variety of areas including:
- Evaluating pronunciation and listening
- Working on all aspects of pronunciation, including individual sounds, stress, and intonation
- Setting up realistic pronunciation goals and a plan to achieve them
- Surveying cross-cultural differences that might be affecting classroom effectiveness
- Investigating students’ evaluations to determine what parcel of neutral or negative feedback might be due to pronunciation or cultural issues
- Developing classroom practices and attitudes that conform to American undergraduate students’ expectations
- Observing or videotaping classes for feedback
- Offering guidance on written materials, classroom resources and presentations
Please email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Drop-In Hours with CETL language consultant, Cynthia DeRoma
Would you like to learn more about CETL’s language program and resources? Please drop by our Teaching Innovation Room (ROWE 319) on Mondays from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m.. Questions? Email Cynthia.firstname.lastname@example.org.