After this winter’s challenging storm season, many of us have finally decided to establish at least a minimal online presence, such as on HuskyCT. A logical next step is to practice “flipping” the classroom by moving some of our teaching materials online and even recording lectures ahead of time for presentation via HuskyCT.
Mediasite is the University’s solution for lecture capture and streaming. Whether you are teaching online or face-to-face, reinforcing a difficult topic, or making up a missed class, Mediasite can provide an appropriate and effective solution.
Mediasite offers five basic options for creating and capturing lecture content:
- Screencast: Record the screen as a full motion video and use the microphone to record audio
- Slideshow plus video: Record a web camera of yourself as full motion video and the screen as slide snapshots, while using the microphone to record audio
- Slideshow plus audio: Capture the screen as slide snapshots and use the microphone to record audio
- Screencast plus video: Record the screen as a full motion video and a web camera of yourself, while using the microphone to record audio
- Video upload: Upload videos from the my Mediasite portal
Much of this you can record on your own using just a laptop, but the iTV group also offers everything from recording studios with state-of-the-art teaching tools (like smart boards) to headsets and high-quality microphones.
Please visit Mediasite Help, which walks users through the process step by step and responds to frequently asked questions; the iTV group would also welcome any feedback you can provide on the page.
See these videos on how to get started: